Welcome to my article all about how to clean heavily soiled carpet!
You may have some great tips for spot cleaning carpets. You may even have some deep cleaning recommendations.
But when your carpet is heavily soiled, you might think you have little choice other than to rip it out and get a new one.
Well, fortunately, there is hope.
This article will provide tips for how to clean a heavily soiled carpet, so you don’t have to spend a lot of money getting it replaced.
Let’s dive in!
How To Clean Heavily Soiled Carpet: 3 Methods
Carpets can be soiled with a variety of materials.
But if there’s dirt and grime absorbed into the fibers, baking soda is a good solution.
Here’s how to use it to get your carpet clean.
- Sprinkle the baking soda over the carpet in heavy concentrations.
- Use a clean, dry sponge mop to push it into the fibers.
- Allow the baking soda to soak into the carpet for a few minutes so it absorbs a maximum amount of dirt and grime.
- Use a vacuum, with a freshly emptied bag of filter, to vacuum over the area several times.
Baking Soda and Vinegar
For an even deeper clean, you can use a baking soda-vinegar combination.
This method will require the following steps.
- Use a hard brush on the fibers of the carpet to lift surface dirt.
- Vacuum the area to remove the dirt.
- Sprinkle your carpet with baking soda to remove odors.
- Apply a solution of one part water and one part vinegar to stained areas. Allow it to sit for 15 minutes.
- Use a carpet cleaner (you will have to rent one if you don’t own one) filled with hot water to eliminate set in stains.
- Allow the carpet to dry. Use a fan if necessary.
- Once the carpet is thoroughly dry, vacuum it once more.
Carpet Cleaning Solution
A DIY carpet cleaning solution will work to clean carpets that haven’t been deep cleaned in a while.
It will also eliminate odors.
Here’s how it works:
- Mix Oxiclean stain remover with 1 cup vinegar and 1 cup Febreze.
- Pour the solution into a carpet cleaner and add hot water so it reaches the fill line.
- Use the cleaner to clean the carpet.
How To Prevent Carpet From Being Heavily Soiled
The methods above will help you clean a heavily soiled carpet.
Now here are some general tips that will keep your carpet from getting heavily soiled in the first place.
Baking soda is effective in cleaning a heavily soiled carpet, but it’s also good for cleaning stains, especially greasy ones.
Putting water on a greasy stain won’t help as water and oil don’t mix.
The baking soda will absorb the grease lifting it away from your carpet, so it won’t stain.
To use baking soda to clean your carpet:
- Sprinkle the baking soda on the stain
- Give it some time to absorb
- Use a damp rag to blot away the soda and the dirt
- Repeat if necessary
If this method isn’t working, mix the baking soda with water so if forms a paste and ground it into the stain.
Let it sit, then remove it with a rag or vacuum.
White Vinegar and Water
White vinegar and water make another good stain remover mixture. It will also fluff up your carpet.
Mix equal parts vinegar and water in a spray bottle and spray it on the stain until the area is saturated.
Blot the stain with a clean, dry rag. Repeat if necessary.
Club soda carbonation helps lift stains out of carpet fibers. It also lifts the fibers themselves, so they fluff up.
To use club soda on your carpet, pour or spray it over the stained area.
Use a rag to blot the stain. Allow the area to dry, then vacuum over it for best results.
Lint rollers can be even more effective at lifting dirt out of a carpet than a vacuum.
Unlike a vacuum, a roller will never get clogged or reach a point when it’s not running at its best.
Use a lint roller on your carpet as you would on any other item.
Be sure to throw out the tacky paper after it is filled with dirt and grime, so you are always using a clean area on the carpeting.
In addition to cleaning the carpet, it will also lift the fibers making it look fluffier.
Pet and human hair can collect in carpet fibers giving it a dull look, and these hairs are quite difficult to remove.
If you are facing challenges getting hair out of your rug, a squeegee could be the ideal solution.
It will work better than a vacuum by physically digging the hair out of the rug along with any lint or debris.
The steam of a steam iron will loosen dirt from a carpet and fluff up the fibers.
Here’s how to use one to clean heavily soiled carpet:
- Place the iron on top of a thin cloth so it doesn’t burn the carpet.
- Set it there for a few seconds to allow the steam to penetrate the rug.
- Then use a damp rag or small brush to remove the stain.
Hydrogen peroxide will work to clean your carpet , but you’ll need to dilute it to ensure it doesn’t discolor the fibers.
You can do this by mixing together:
- ¾ cups of the peroxide
- ¼ cup white vinegar
- 2 tbsp fabric softener (How To Create A Homemade Dusting Spray With Fabric Softener)
- 2 tbsp dishwashing liquid
- Add the mixture to a squirt bottle filled with a gallon of warm water
- Spray the solution over the stain until the area is saturated
- Use a damp cloth to remove the stain
You can also add this mixture to a carpet cleaning machine for an even deeper clean.
Rubbing alcohol is ideal for cleaning nail polish or paint from a carpet.
But you must be careful not to go outside the stain because it can remove the color from your carpeting.
Start the process by removing the paint or polish with a butter knife, squeegee, or another blunt tool.
Once you have removed all you can, carefully blot the alcohol on to the stain with a cotton swab or another small, soft instrument.
Be careful not to get the alcohol into the areas surrounding the stain.
Laundry detergent cleans wool, cotton, and a variety of other materials.
It makes perfect sense that it can clean carpets as well.
To use detergent in a carpet cleaner, mix in one tbsp. of detergent for every quart of water in the machine.
You can also use the detergent for spot cleaning by pouring or spraying it directly on the stain.
Then use a clean damp rag to blot it up.
When using shaving cream on a stain, it’s best to vigorously rub it into the affected area.
This will allow it to dissolve the dirt.
Once the cream is applied, give it several minutes to settle in.
Use a damp cloth to remove the dirt. Then vacuum the area.
Tips for Keeping Your Carpet Clean
If you want a clean carpet, it’s best not to let it get dirty in the first place.
Here are some tips that will help you achieve that goal.
- Vacuum twice a week.
- Use doormats so people don’t track dirt into your home.
- Encourage guests not to wear shoes inside.
- Treat stains right away.
- Keep air filters clean so they don’t emit dirt that can get trapped in your carpet.
- Keep your vacuum clean so it sucks up dirt efficiently.
- Brush and bathe your pets often so they don’t shed on the carpeting or get it dirty.
How To Clean Heavily Soiled Carpet: Conclusion
A heavily soiled carpet brings down the appearance of your entire interior.
The tips in this article will help you get your carpet or rug clean, no matter how dirty it may be.
I hope you’ve found this article helpful and informative!
Here are some related articles you may also like to read:
About The Author: Hi, I’m Jessica. I’m a Mom of 2 and I love DIY hacks, home decor ideas and non-toxic cleaning tips. I created this website to share my knowledge with a community of like-minded people who love simple, easy and safe ways to keep their home clean and inspiring. I hope you enjoy!